Winskill Editorial is the business name of Gale Winskill.
I have worked as an editor since 1993.
I was originally self-taught in editorial and proofreading practices by working in Hong Kong for a variety of publishing houses, businesses and organisations.
On my return to the UK, I attended a Copy-editing Skills course at Publishing Training Centre, London, to ensure that my acquired skills were valid and recognised outside of Hong Kong.
As a result of my unconventional route into the editing and publishing world, I possess more hands-on, all-round editorial experience than many editors working for large, international publishing houses.
My practical skills have been accumulated in a number of working environments, ensuring that I am extremely versatile across a variety of media and subject areas.
My work has been publicly recognised. Some of my children’s authors have won, or been shortlisted for respected literary prizes (see Children’s Fiction).
These days, I also present training courses and workshops on a variety of editing and freelance-related subjects, to a wide range of audiences.
I speak Italian fluently, have a good working knowledge of French, as well as some German.
I have travelled extensively, and have lived and worked in Thailand, Egypt, Hong Kong and Italy. I worked as a PADI scuba divemaster for two years, and am interested in cooking, gardening, pilates and film. Some of this has proved surprisingly useful for various editing commissions.
To provide a high-quality, professional service at a competitive rate, within an agreed timescale, in accordance with the Code of Practice of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders
- Advanced Member of the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP)
In addition to holding all of the same qualifications held by Associate and Ordinary Members of the SfEP, Advanced Members must also have demonstrated extensive editing, proof-reading and project management experience over the previous 10 years, as well as achieved a certain level of training and provided appropriate references.
- Board member of Publishing Scotland
- Network member of Publishing Scotland
- Training Committee member, Publishing Scotland
- Copy-Editing, Publishing Training Centre, London
- Brush up your Grammar, SfEP
- Going freelance and staying there, SfEP
- On-screen Editing 1 & 2, SfEP
- Why use Facebook? Florizel Media Ltd
- Training for Trainers, SfEP
- Society of Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP). Annual conference, 2010
- Annual Kingston Publishing Conference, 2010
- Publishing Scotland. Annual Conference, 2010, 2011 & 2013
- English Literature and Italian MA (Hons), University of Edinburgh
- English Literature, French and German A Levels
- English Literature AS Level
- Black & White
- Books & Software Ltd, Hong Kong
- Chamber of Commerce
- Floris Books
- Freelance Editing Services
- GW Publishing
- Kingston University, London
- Mercier Press
- Phoenix Yard Books
- Pica Educatief bv
- Publishing Scotland
- Saxon Graphics
- Wattle Publishing
- Waverley Books
Previous Employment History
Floris Books, Edinburgh. Editor, 1998–2008 (and subsequently as a freelance editor)
Macmillan, Hong Kong. Freelance editor and writer, 1994–1995
SEPA, Hong Kong. Freelance editor, 1995
Youth Bookroom, Hong Kong. Editor and writer, 1993–1995
Asia Law and Practice, Hong Kong. Freelance editor, 1993
Worldwide Fruit, Geest Plc., Spalding. Fruit importer (Italy), 1991–1992